Koiné is a fictional planet inhabited by five different humanoid Races:
- Strong Folk: beings of mighty force, who constitute the most numerous population of the planet. They have an average life span of around 90 years. Their most outstanding physical features are their robustness, the hardness of their bones, and the big strength of their muscles, which allows them to perform impressive feats such as: lift up to five times their own weight or break wood with their bare hands, among many others. Their settlements are called tribes, being the most important of them Shuntai. They mint the bronze coins.
- Thinkers: telepaths since they are born, they can live up to 300 years. Their heads are huge, don't have ears (just small orifices on each side of their heads), nor hair (nor even eyebrows). Inherently pacifists, due to their empathy, the Thinkers have established a Mental Network, also called Hive Mind or Thinkers Network, which keeps them connected worldwide. Their settlements are called colonies, being the most important one Mudraci. They mint the silver coins, which are worth ten bronzes.
- Aware: capable of living up to 2,000 years, they are thin beings, tall and bony. Their main feature is their ability to change reality at the physical plane (do magic). They are called “the Aware” because they are aware of the fact that the physical plane is just an illusion that can be altered with their power, which comes from within, by channeling the Energy of the Universe. Their settlements are called ghettos, being the most important one Kontar, where lies an ancient Academy which helps them focus and make better use of their abilities. They mint the gold coins, which are worth ten silvers.
- Eternals: they don't age, nor get sick, and possess an eidetic memory, which allows them to remember everything as if it just happened. Smooth talkers, tall and gallant, agile and acrobatic, with slightly-pointed ears. Their main skill is to persuade others to do things for them. Their settlements are called congregations, being the most important one Lendl. They mint the platinum coins, which are worth ten golds.
- Luminescent: they don't age, nor get sick, nor fie and communicate by mere touch. They are beings of pure energy, with a shape resembling their former humanoid past. and they can assume different shapes, as holographic projections. When they feel threatened, they can electrify physical beings. As they are capable of traveling as fast as the speed of light, their main feature is their relativity, which is the ability to bend time (slow it down, speed it up, freeze it, rewind it, among other skills). Their settlements are called gatherings, but they don't remain in a specific place of the planet, as they are always wandering around where there is sunlight. They don't have any kind of attachments for physical things.
Koiné has existed for millennia, but it was only 11,137 years ago that the Thinkers Race began to count the passing of time. In Koiné, years last 360 days. Each year is divided into ten months, six weeks each, and six days per week.
In Koiné a common language is spoken, established during the Great Unification, a summit event in the history of the planet, which marked the end of the conflicts among the Races. However, the Aware still use the Ancient Aware Tongue to cast their most potent spells, as the sounds in such language resonate beyond the physical plane.
Planet Koiné has only one continent which is a massive extension of land covering the central region of the planet, composed of two big masses of land: Eastern and Western joined on one side by the Isthmus and separated in the other side by the Strait. In Western, right in the geographical center of the continent, there is an immense valley where the Big City is located, which is the most populated settlement on the planet, as well as the center of commerce. There lies the Central Government Castle, where the Supreme Regent and its cabinet reside.
In the continent of Koiné, five big territories can be found:
- Inhabited Territories, which cover a vast extension of irregular shape that includes all the settlements (tribes, colonies, ghettos, congregations and the Big City) inhabited by the physical Races.
- The Snowy Peaks, the only territory on the planet covered with snow, located at the northernmost part of the continent, in Western.
- The Old Forests and Jungles, which are wide extensions of land distributed along the whole continent, where no commerce route has ever passed.
- The Former Desert or New Forest, which is a vast territory located to the west of the Big River. For centuries, the Strong Folk's abuse of hunting practices, forest felling, sowing, and cattle raising wore out the soils, which made them migrate to other zones, where the whole damage started again. The most abundant river that used to cross by that zone eroded increasingly the riverbed until it became an undercurrent. This land once barren was magically restored during the Great Unification, thanks to the deeds of the Enlightened One and the Aware, and currently is a flourishing forest.
- The Volcanic Zone, which is an uninhabitable region in the south of the continent.